Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kingdom Rush


Year: 2011
Genre: Tower Defense
Website: http://www.kingdomrush.com/home.html


Lee:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 21.0
  • Playthroughs: 1
  • Rating: 9/10

Shane:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 16.0
  • Playthroughs: 1
  • Rating: 8/10


Notes and Discussions:
  • Lee (2/28/2014): Ah, now we're talking! Of all of the games that I've played from the Humble Bundle Android packs, this is my favorite so far. The game is loaded with challenging, yet accessible missions, and the game controls are intuitive and easy to master. For me, the ability to dial down the difficulty a bit when things get rough is a huge plus, and this game tracks which levels you have beaten on which difficulty. Fantastic! Another neat aspect of the level selection is that each level also has two additional challenge missions to complete, which give even more completion "stars." These stars are used to level up your tech tree...and they are redistributable! This means that if you get your ass kicked on a particular level while using one strategy, you can redistribute your awarded stars toward different skills, then try the level again. This mechanism yields some pretty engaging and addictive gameplay.

    After I had learned the controls, for the first few missions I chose the archery towers (the other three choices are artillery, infantry, and magic) as my source of offensive power. My initial success soloing with this one class of attack gave me the impression that I was going to be able to coast through this game without having to learn the other three tower types. (This reminded me of playing through the original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans game back in the 90s, using only archers.) That assumption was very quickly proven to be false. Each level contained terrain that was suited for different combinations of attack and defense towers. Finding a combination that worked for a given level was challenging, but incredibly fun. Sometimes you got lucky and found something that worked right away...but other times you get swarmed by packs of vicious demon dogs, because you don't have enough infantry out there to serve as dog food while your wizards shoot fireballs at them.

    The only minor complaint that I have with the game is that the bonus locations that are not part of the main storyline are pretty ridiculously hard. Shane says that he is doing all right with them, but I consistently got my ass handed to me, even with maxed-out stats. I guess I'm really just complaining about being a sub-par tower defense gamer...

    I enjoyed my first playthrough of this game so much that I bought the Frontiers expansion (for only $0.99!) from the Google Play Store. Expect a review of that one from me someday soon.

  • Shane (3/5/2014):  This is a great game.  I would be happy to list it as such, independent of platform, but on mobile it really excels.

    When I first encountered this game I spent dedicated time to it, sitting alone in the living room, stealing a few minutes while other people were talking at parties, sitting in my computer chair and NOT playing other games so that I could get further.  I am a fan of Tower-Defense games in general and had been looking for a good one for a while.

    After I finished the story campaign (with the exception of completing all of the challenge missions) I didn't uninstall the game.  It sat calmly in my app list while I made it through several other games.  It didn't bug me.  It didn't whine that I wasn't finishing it.  It didn't ask me to uninstall it.  It just waited.  Over the last two weeks I have wandered back to it like an old friend.  It welcomed me back for a quick tumble as I sat for 10 minutes, completing a task that didn't require my mind.

    Initially I rated this title with a 7.  I had to change this upon writing this review, bumping up to an 8 because of the replayability.  I am sure that I am not done with this one.  I look forward to seeing what it has to offer me in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment