Thursday, February 13, 2014

Solar 2


Year: 2013
Genre: Open-World, Sandbox
Website: http://murudai.com/solar/


Lee:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 5.0
  • Playthroughs: 1
  • Rating: 7/10

Shane:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 6.0
  • Playthroughs: 1
  • Rating: 7/10



Notes and Discussions:
  • Lee (2/13/2014): Shane and I picked this game up out of one of the Humble Bundle Android releases. I didn't find this game to be as immediately accessible as I would have liked. I figured out how to smash into other asteroids to make my asteroid bigger easy enough, and figuring out how to turn my planet into a star wasn't too bad, but growing a star seemed impossible. Shane came to the rescue here and explained that you have to manually drag the planets that you capture into the star to make it bigger. This tip opened up the game for me quite a bit, and eventually allowed my star to grow into a black hole, which is what we decided would qualify as a playthrough for this game.

    Overall, the gameplay was fun, and flying through space to progress through the sequence of celestial objects was amusing, but the challenging missions weren't enough to keep my interest beyond the basic playthrough. Perhaps I'll pick it up again someday and give it another spin.

  • Shane (2/13/2014):  This was a late arrival on the Humble Bundle for Android.  I was excited to see additional content show up but was in the middle of some other projects so it sat in my queue for quite a while before I got around to installing it.  What I expected was a game that I could play on the toilet for 5 minutes.  It briefly became more than that.

    First impression was that the graphics were better than I expected.  Really it is one of the prettiest games I have played on a mobile device.  I was also able to immediately launch into controlling my first asteroid so I thought controls were going to be easy.  Most of the controls ARE easy.  Some I had to look up.  As Lee mentioned, getting upgrades in the star phase involves a previously unannounced mechanic.  Once we had that figured out it was a minor task to complete the rest of the playthrough.

    I really wanted to like this game, from the moment I installed it.  It was clever, unconventional, and attractive.  I had a deal of fun with it and enjoyed it enough to get past the poor instructions but I haven't found enough reason to keep going.  The missions are difficult, though I feel that I could find a way to get through them.  I just can't convince myself that I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment