Thursday, November 19, 2015

Heroes of Loot



Year: 2013
Genre: Hack and Slash, Dungeon Crawl
Website: http://www.orangepixel.net/heroesofloot/


Shane:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 7.5
  • Playthroughs: 0
  • Rating: --/10

Lee:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: --.-
  • Playthroughs: 0
  • Rating: --/10


Notes and Discussions:
  • Shane (11/9/2015): Now THIS is a game that I was able to sink myself into.  I loved the simple interface because it allowed me to get into the game quickly.  I loved that there was enough complexity that I had to make some choices regarding how I wanted to kill different enemies.  I was even able to sit and play 10-20 minutes of this game at a time.  It kept my attention through individual lives, but I didn't feel that I needed to devote my life to it.

    It has been several months since I played it, so this is not a complete review.  What is notable on this game though, is that I still think about it.  I would be happy to load it up again and play, just as soon as I have a hole in my schedule.

    In fact, that is part of the strength of this game.  It feels well-contained.  It isn't a life sink like its spiritual ancestors such as Diablo, for instance.  In fact, if Diablo was a multi-book epic, then Heroes of Loot is a short story.  Long enough to feel something when it is done, but I don't feel like I need a flow chart to map out relationships and lineages.

    I had some problems with the game as well.  Money didn't stick around that long after you kill stuff.  This was a problem as my best technique was to stand in the entrance of a room and spam the attack button, hosing down the enemies in that space.  Unfortunately when I did this, I would lose out on much of the gold that is dropped because it takes more than the loot lifespan for me to clear the room.  I also got squished by some of the larger enemies immediately when the level started.  These issues would have really bothered me if I was REALLY invested in the game.  With how I was interacting on this one I ended up just a bit annoyed.

    In summary, short game, well built, some problems but I was happy I played it and would be happy to burn another few hours some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment