Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dota 2


Year: 2013
Genre: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena
Website: http://blog.dota2.com/


Lee:
  • Platform: PC
  • Hours logged: 2.5
  • Playthroughs: --
  • Rating: --/10

Shane:
  • Platform: PC
  • Hours logged: 10.0
  • Playthroughs: --
  • Rating: 6/10


Notes and Discussions:
  • Shane (3/5/2014):  CONTENT.  SO MUCH CONTENT.

    I wanted to love this game, and I started to as I worked my way through the intro lessons.  I had played two sessions of the Warcraft 3 mod that started this game a number of years ago and I loved it.  I was TERRIBLE at it, but I loved it.  When Lee and I were looking for another game to play together (That is the key word here.  We get some good out of co-op play with each other from time to time.  Community doesn't have to have physical proximity any more to be valuable.) we tried this one out.

    A couple thoughts to start:

    Yay!  It is free!
    Hmm... micro-transactions... doesn't bode well... Oh wait!  They are just for cosmetic stuff!  It isn't pay-to-win!
    I like all of the heroes!  I can take this dude and kill a lot of enemies!
    My dude keeps ending up dead.
    Reading some of the guides people have posted...
    Oh... Getting good at this game is a job.  I don't need another job right now.

    That is where it fell apart for me.  I learned how to play the game.  What I expected when I started DOTA 2 was a Diablo style game, where you take your big dude out and smash a lot of little dudes until you can smash bigger dudes then you win.  I tried to play it that way.  I would wade into the lanes, fighting enemy creeps and pushing the battle over to the towers.  The towers would kick the shit out of me and I would end up respawning back a the base.  Rinse and repeat.  Each time I died I would lose what little money I was able to collect that run AND I would lose the time running back into the fray.

    It turns out winning DOTA 2 is all about the small movements.  "Last hitting" enemies will get you more XP and money, which make you stronger.  Once you are tough enough, your ENTIRE team will make a cooperative effort on pushing the battle to the enemy.  If you don't play the little "last hit" game, you lose.  If you don't work together, you lose.

    I had a number of important realizations while I was working through this game.  I found out that I am not in a place in my life where I can dish out this much effort on something that I don't NEED to be good at.  I learned that being fascinated by the premise of a game isn't enough to overcome the disappointment of play not feeling "heroic" enough.  I learned that I don't need for playing a game to feel like a job.

    I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to people who need to master systems.  I, however, need to be a casual right now.  If my life continues on it's current trajectory, I will not be going back to this one.

  • Lee (3/5/2014): I don't have a lot to say about this game, since I only spent a few hours on it, but the word that comes to mind when I think about the gameplay experience is: OVERWHELMED. At first, it was fun to select a hero, then click around and kill shit. Then came the dying. And respawning. And more dying. Frustrating! (Keep in mind that I suck at most video games...especially ones that involve a lot of fast decision making. I love, love, love StarCraft...but, oh, do I ever suck at playing it. Give me a good FPS or RPG, and I'll be good to go.)

    Due to some time constraints in my life that week, Shane was able to put a lot more time into this game than I did. When he decided to drop this game and move on to something else (Starbound!!), I opted to follow suit. Maybe I'll come back to this game and give it some more of my time, but it is a pretty low priority for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment