Monday, September 22, 2014

Gunpoint


Year: 2013
Genre: Puzzle-Platformer
Website: http://www.gunpointgame.com/


Shane:
  • Platform: PC
  • Hours logged: 4.0
  • Playthroughs: 1
  • Rating: 8/10


Notes and Discussions:
  • Shane (9/22/2014): What a great game this is!  It has so much atmosphere that I was as engrossed in the crime noir world as much as the gameplay. (Pedantic Author's Note: "Atmosphere" is a word that I don't usually like to use, since it is also used to mean "the stuff that exists around us everywhere."  So, saying "so much atmosphere" is like saying "it has so much of the thing that is everywhere, always.")

    The music was a big part of this experience for me.  All too often I am playing games with the sound turned down.  In a lot of games, the score is repetitive and largely unneeded.  The music here was so well done and fitting that I left it on beyond having heard multiple loops of each song.  I played the game slowly as well, so I heard the music a lot.

    But that brings up another good point actually.  I didn't get tired of the game in the four hours that I played it.  I am really happy that I was able to learn the gameplay, figure out and engage with a story, and play through all normal content in about half of what a regular work day would have been, had I been working when I played this.

    I strongly considered giving Gunpoint a 9, but I had some small quibbles with a lack of granularity of control that I enjoy, and that the puzzles were inventive in technology, but not difficult in execution.  Ultimately I also had to consider that I didn't leave the game installed as I have with other quick games.  I do expect that I will come back to this game eventually.  More to the point, I will seek out more games developed by this designer.

    If you have the few bucks to spare and are considering buying this game, I would recommend it.  It offers a rewarding, well built, entertaining few hours and a simple sense of accomplishment.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment