Monday, September 22, 2014

Threes!


Year: 2014
Genre: Puzzle
Website: http://asherv.com/threes/


Shane:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 10.5
  • Playthroughs: --
  • Rating: 8/10

Lee:
  • Platform: Android
  • Hours logged: 10.0
  • Playthroughs: --
  • Rating: 8/10


Notes and Discussions:
  • Lee (9/22/2014): This game was a surprise hit for both Shane and me. Though simple to learn, this game is rather challenging, but is also very addictive. The goal of the game is to increase the value of the tiles on the board by swiping across the screen either up, down, left, or right, which moves all of the tiles in the chosen direction, and combines tiles according to some rules: 1) a "1" and a "2" tile will combine to create a "3", and 2) two identical tiles of "3" or above will combine to create a tile worth double that value (i.e. two "12" tiles create a "24"). At the end of the round, the game scores each tile and reports your final score for that round.

    When I first started playing this game, I expected that it would capture my attention for a couple hours at most, before I lost interest and moved on to something else, much like the game, SpellTower. But I was wrong. Several times, I found myself finishing up one round, then immediately starting another one, thinking, "I can do better."

    Shane, Julie, and I got into a bit of a competition to see who could break 10,000 points in a round first. Julie and I both landed scores in the 9000s, but the 10k mark eluded us. I put the game down for a month, then picked it back up, played a few rounds, and finally scored a 10,422! I may have gloated a bit after that... But nine hours later, I got an email from Shane with the title, "Eat it". Inside the email was a screenshot of his new score, 21,522. I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment