Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Darwinia


Year: 2006
Genre: Real-Time Strategy
Website: http://www.introversion.co.uk/darwinia/


Lee:
  • Platform: PC
  • Hours logged: 17.0
  • Playthroughs: 1
  • Rating: 10/10



Notes and Discussions:
  • Lee (11/4/2014): This is definitely my sort of game! Darwinia has an intriguing storyline, and its gameplay is engaging, satisfying, challenging, highly accessible, and easily completable. And it’s pretty gloriously nerdy.

    The premise of Darwinia is that you have stumbled upon a digital computer simulation of a world, which has been overrun by evil virus creatures. Before the virus invasion, the artificial world had been created and studied over the span of many years by a scientist named Dr. Sepulveda. Communicating with you via video messages, Dr. Sepulveda fills in the game’s backstory as he gives you objectives, hints, and status updates regarding your struggle to help him regain control of Darwinia from the evil viruses. As you play through the game, your create and control various units to fight the viruses, research new tech, reclaim important buildings, and guide the native inhabitants (called Darwinians) to safety.

    I remembered loving Darwinia when it first came out nearly a decade ago, so when Shane and I started this blog project, Darwinia made it onto my retro games shortlist. I have been surprised by how well some of the games that I have dug up and replayed from my past have held up over time. This is definitely one of them. I wouldn't really have guessed that this would be a 10 for me, but after loading it up and beating the first few levels, I couldn't put it down until I was done. And after the credits rolled, I left feeling tremendously satisfied. I have no doubt that I will be back for yet another playthrough of Darwinia someday. I highly recommend giving this one a spin!

No comments:

Post a Comment